This week, from Monday, Feb. 20 to Friday, Feb. 24, features a free day at LACMA, Pop-Up Magazine at Ace, the LA Art Book Fair, The Slurring Bee at The Virgil, and LOTS more.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week
2. Dine Out Long Beach Restaurant Week returns with a 2.0 version, Feb. 19-25. Guests will have a chance to savor prix fixe lunches and dinners at a special price.
3. Angel City Brewery presents a special smokey edition of Ale Academy featuring the new Warehouse Collection brew, Rauchbier. Explore the smoked flavors of Rauchbier through food pairings from local vendors, including smoked almonds, beef jerky, and BBQ. Tickets cost $5.
4. Catch L.A.’s longest running weekly burlesque show Monday Night Tease at Three Clubs in Hollywood on Mondays. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Hot Tub With Kurt And Kristen turns 12 this Monday! The anniversary special will feature some of the best and worst sketches from the past. Happening at The Virgil, special guests include Cameron Esposito, Rivers Langley, Karl Herlinger, Dave Ross, Ryan Singer and Scott Thompson. Tickets cost $8.
6. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. “A comatose man recreates his identity by delving deeply into his memories, while a panoply of family members and loved ones form scheming camps over grave neurological decisions” in Plasticity, a new one-man show now playing at the Hudson Theatres. Performances take place Saturday, Sunday, and Monday evenings.
8. On Monday The Abbey Food & Bar, will host a Not My President’s Day. Catch The Abbey’s dancers painted orange with blonde wigs, a drag queen MC and themed cocktails such as Make America Gay Again and The Alternative Fact. Guests will have an opportunity to donate to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) that night as well.
9. Come to The Victorian in Santa Monica for the monthly Basement Comedy Show, featuring this month’s special guest Jon Rudnitsky. FREE
10. Pan African Film & Arts Festival (Feb. 9-20) will showcase over 150 new films, along with special programs aimed towards students and the community.
Tuesday February 21st, 201711. The Standard, Hollywood and Cinefamily presents All About Almodóvar a month long of free Almodóvar screenings this week, Matador. FREE
12. L.A. Urban Adventures invites you to relive Old Hollywood by taking a stroll down the Hollywood Walk of Fame while stopping to hear stories about historic spots, sample drinks made famous during the Golden Age and try out local street food. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Play Indiana Jones for a day with Escape Room LA: The Cavern. Find clues and solve puzzles to get your hands on a lost civilization’s ancient treasures hundreds of feet below Downtown Los Angeles! Happening Tuesday and Wednesday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. Hollywood’s Franklin & Company is launching a new weekly Free Movie Night. Every Tuesday the gastropub will play a movie over their TVs and offer a different specialty cocktail, themed to the film for just $6. This week it’s Taxi Driver.
15. Escape Room LA The Alchemist has you locked in a room forced to uncover the hidden power of the Philosopher’s Stone in order to escape from the mad Alchemist. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. Escape Room LA: The Detective has you inside a 1940’s film noir set up where you have to solve a slew of mysteries in order to escape. Happening Tuesday and Wednesday. DISCOUNTED via Goldstar.
17. The Wallis presents 946: The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips a heartfelt story based set in the time of World War II showing how the human spirit prevails even in a time of destruction and death. The Times of London called it “A wonderfully life-affirming piece of theatre… touchingly and gloriously imaginative.” Check for discounted tickets on Goldstar while supplies last all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
18. Free admission days this Tuesday for: Los Angeles County Arboretum, South Coast Botanic Garden and Descanso Gardens.
Wednesday February 22nd, 201719. Every Wednesday night is Drag Queen Bingo at Hamburger Mary’s in West Hollywood. It’s a comedic event featuring transgender hosts, celebrity guests, and fabulous prizes.
20. The Slurring Bee makes its way to The Virgil this Wednesday for a bar spelling bee where participants pay $5 to compete, take a first Slurring Bee Shot and spell. From there on it keeps going until a queen or king bee is crowned. Winner receives half the pot, bee-themed prizes and their picture immortalized on The Slurring Bees Wall of Fame, plus automatic placement in the Tournament of Champions!
21. Tales from Tinseltown is a new storytelling show hosted by Megan Hayes (Hunger Games, Sleepy Hollow) and Oscar Sagastume (Multiple Moth Winner, Buzzfeed). Performers share some of Hollywood’s dirty secrets and maybe a few of their own. The lineup includes Maria Howell (Hidden Figures, The Color Purple), Greg Walloch (Moth Host, NPR) Moses Storm (Last Comic Standing, Comedy Central’s), Brittany Ross (‘SMOSH: The Movie’, ‘The Middle’) Scott Turner Schofield (The Bold and the Beautiful, TED Talk). Tickets cost $5.
22. Get your sun salutations on during Grand Park’s lunch time free yoga class stop by at 12:15 p.m. yoga runs till 1 p.m. FREE
Thursday February 23rd, 201723. Come browse books, art catalogs, zines and more by local and national artists at the 5th Annual LA Art Book Fair taking place at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA Feb. 23-26. FREE
24. The New York Times Feminist Reading Group event invites readers, writers and normal bystanders to review and discuss the iconic newspaper while using feminist techniques to investigate journalistic bias. Happening at The Hammer. FREE
25. Throwback Thursdays at NoHo cinema screens Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. Upstairs at Ace Hotel will be hosting the official after hours parties for Printed Matter’s LA Art Book Fair February 23 – 26. Each night a different publisher will host the free 21+ party starting at 8:30 p.m. FREE
27. Enjoy dinner and a movie when the Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles in Beverly Hills screens Hidden Figures. The movie is preceded by a three-course prix-fixe dinner at Culina. Cost of the experience is $69. Reservations can be made by calling 310.860.4000.
28. Performance Lab at The Skirball Cultural Center presents Lionel Popkin-Inflatable Trio performed on and around an ever changing inflatable plastic living room set.
29. HUMANS! a comedy show hosted by a real live Robot will take place at Amplyfi this Thursday. The show cost $5.
30. Liam McEneaney brings his NYC stand-up showcase Tell Your Friends! to the West Coast at NerdMelt. Expect an eclectic selection of some of the best comedians to take the stage. Tickets cost $10.
31. Free admission days this Thursday for: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center, Japanese American National Museum (all day) and Pasadena Museum of California Art (from 5 to 8 p.m.)
Friday February 24th, 201732. Pop-Up Magazine is a night filled with true, multimedia storytelling with stunning visuals, film, and live music. Listen to writers, filmmakers, photographers and producers share true stories at the Theatre at The Ace.
33. As part of their culinary series of thematic pop-up dinners, The Autry is hosting a farm-to-table food experience called Flavors: Future of Food. Guests will enjoy a specialty meal made of ingredients harkening back to California’s past, such as Longhorn cattle and Churro sheep.
34. Experience the food, culture and history of Downtown Los Angeles through a three hour foodie tour this Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
35. Late-Night Lichtenstein at The Skirball is a rare opportunity to see the exhibit Pop for the People: Roy Lichtenstein in L.A. at night for free! At this time organizers tell us the waitlist is at capacity so if you don’t make the cut this Friday, try checking out the exhibit before March 12 when it comes to a close.
36. The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv show by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout suggestions throughout the night for improvisational scenes performed by some of the best in the business. It’s also a testing ground for brand new material for the Groundlings’ main show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. Every Friday in February Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal and themed drinks. This week’s theme is Seasonal Produce Cocktails made with vodka and whiskey.
38. Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones is playing at The Hudson Theatre in Hollywood. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
39. Every Friday in February, the Norton Science Museum in Pasadena will host “Unexpected Romance” a film series centered around romance. This week the 1971 film Harold and Maude will be screened.
40. Free admission days this Friday for: Long Beach Museum of Art (3 – 8 p.m.) FREE
Article by We Like LA.