Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Feb. 6 to Friday, Feb. 10, features Free Yogurtland, a Skybar Night Market, a Great Horror Movie Night at the Old LA Zoo, The DTLA Art Walk, Citizen Science + Suds, and LOTS more.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Image via Skybar at Mondrian on Facebook
Monday February 6th, 20171. “Show up, dive in, stay at it”: Post-Election Community Gathering, organized by The Hammer Museum is a forum focused on learning, organizing, and how to taking action under the new administration. The panel discussion will be moderated by Jessica Yelin, former chief White House correspondent for CNN. FREE
2. Yogurtland will celebrate International Frozen Yogurt Day with free yogurt and toppings for all! Available at all stores from 4 to 7 p.m. BTW Yogurtland partnered up with Hershey’s for a peanut butter cup flavor and guests will receive a special Hershey’s spoon with their free treat. FREE
3. The Street Art House pop-up gallery heads to The Hangar from Feb. 4 through 10. Attendees will get a chance to view and purchase street artists’ original works from around the globe. Participating artists include WRDSMTH, Skyler Grey, Hagop, and more. FREE
4. Catch L.A.’s longest running weekly burlesque show Monday Night Tease at Three Clubs in Hollywood on Mondays. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. “A comatose man recreates his identity by delving deeply into his memories, while a panoply of family members and loved ones form scheming camps over grave neurological decisions” in Plasticity, a new one-man show now playing at the Hudson Theatres. Performances take place Saturday, Sunday, and Monday evenings.
6. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. The Business LA is a free comedy show at Little Joy featuring Erin Lennox, Dave Stone, Jamie Loftus, Dan St. Germain with hosts Sean Keane, Megan Koester, Anna Seregina and Bucky Sinister. FREE
Tuesday February 7th, 20178. The Standard, Hollywood and The Cinefamily presents All About Almodóvar a month long of free Almodóvar screenings starting with Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. FREE
9. Hollywood’s Franklin & Company is launching a new weekly Free Movie Night. Every Tuesday the gastropub will play a movie over their TVs and offer a different specialty cocktail, themed to the film for just $6. This week it’s Sunset Boulevard.
10. FIDM Museum’s newest exhibit, The 25th Annual Art of Motion Picture Design, opens to the public on Tuesday. This free show, in Downtown L.A., features creations nominated for the Academy Award for Best Costumes and more. FREE
11. As part of their Tuesday afternoon screening series, the Skirball Cultural Center is featuring Dear White People this Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. FREE
12. Motown the Musical returns to the Hollywood Pantages Theatre with smash hits from the heyday of the Motown era. Happening all week! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. There’s a 90’s dance party hosted by Be Kind Rewind at The Virgil with a rad happy hour going till midnight, 90’s cocktails a DJ and more. FREE
14. Food Truck Night at The California Heritage Museum takes place every Tuesday with trucks vary from week to week. Guests are welcome to bring blankets and hang out on the lawn of the museum while they dine.
15. Free admission days this Tuesday for: Kidspace Children’s Museum (from 4 to 8 p.m.), Natural History Museum and Page Museum at La Brea Tarpits
Wednesday February 8th, 201716. The Power of Our Presence an exhibition celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the Essence Black Women in Hollywood Awards opens to the public starting this Wednesday. FREE
17. In honor of Valentine’s Day, the Mayan Theater is hosting Lucha VaVOOM’s Twisted Valentine.Guests will enjoy over-the-top performances from wrestlers, performers and an epic match between Mexico City’s Relampago and mega-meanie Magno.
18. Every Wednesday night is Drag Queen Bingo at Hamburger Mary’s in West Hollywood. It’s a comedic event featuring transgender hosts, celebrity guests, and fabulous prizes.
19. Carrie That Tune celebrates great songs written by good writers but unfortunately appeared on Broadway musicals that flopped. Watch a talented group of performers revive the songs at Bar Fedora this Thursday! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. Want to stay thrifty while supporting a great local cause? The St. Vincent de Paul Los Angeles thrift store is offering 50% off all men’s/women’s short-sleeve shirts through Valentine’s day.
21. Get your sun salutations on during Grand Park’s lunch time free yoga class stop by at 12:15 p.m. yoga runs till 1 p.m. FREE
Thursday February 9th, 201722. Red Bull Sound Select Presents: Hanni El Khatib, Dude York, Pinky Pinky at the Teragram Ballroom. Tickets are just $3 when you rsvp.
23. Skybar Night Market at The Mondrian is a monthly shopping event featuring a rotating list of hand-selected brands ranging from apparel to accessories to gifts/trinkets and sweets. The event is free with an rsvp. FREE
24. NHMLA & Angel City Brewery Presents: Citizen Science + Suds an event held at the Natural History Museum to promote civic involvement through a creation of a communal beer! That’s just part of the focus of the new series, expect lively conversations about urban planning, marine conservation and civic science in the mix as well. Happening once a month through March. FREE
25. The Dirty Little Secrets presents Game of Thrones Burlesque. All of your favorite GOT characters will take the stage at Harvelle’s in Long Beach this Friday for a tantalizing performance. DISCOUNTED(via Goldstar)
26. The Pan African Film & Arts Festival (Feb. 9-20) will showcase over 150 new films, along with special programs aimed towards students and the community.
27. Tease, If You Please Burlesque Show staged at Globe Theatre spotlights acts from some of the most creative dancers in the business. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. The Skirball Cultural Center will celebrate the Jewish tradition Tu B’Shevat by offering food tastings and discussing how the tree-honoring holiday fosters sustainable living.
29. The Wallis presents 946: The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips a heartfelt story based around World War II and how the human spirit prevails even in a time of destruction and death. Check for discounted tickets on Goldstar while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening this Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. Throwback Thursdays at NoHo cinema screens When Harry Met Sally this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. The Downtown Art Walk brings art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month to take part in gallery tours, shop the art mart and adjacent local businesses, sample nearby food trucks, and experience the overall flavor of the downtown Los Angeles Historic Core.
33. Celebrate Valentine’s Day early at the San Gabriel Mission District with a free Wine, Dine & Dance party between 7 to 9 p.m. in the Mission Playhouse Plaza. The event will include dance lessons, wine tasting, appetizers and music. FREE
34. The Standard Hollywood will host an opening reception for FLORA, a photo exhibit featuring vibrant photos of exotic plant life and an art installation with live models in a glass box lit up with real and artificial plant life. Art work is available for purchase and 25% of all the proceeds will go to the ACLU. There will be complimentary beer and wine. FREE
35. Free admission days this Thursday for: American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday February 10th, 201736. The Great Horror Movie Nights at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park kickoff for 2017 this Friday with a screening of Carrie (1976). The event will feature plenty of pre-show entertainment including games, prizes, and roaming scare-actors. Discount tickets are available via Goldstar while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. Arts Brookfield at FIGat7th is hosting a psychedelic pre Valentine’s Day quiet clubbing party with three DJs, and graphics from the Signs of Life art exhibit. FREE
38. Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones is playing at The Hudson Theatre in Hollywood all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
39. The Inspiration LA Vintage Show returns to The Reef in DTLA (Feb. 10-11) for two days of vintage-oriented exhibits with one-of-a-kind merchandise from the 1900s to 1980s sold by vintage sellers from all over the country and from Japan!
40. Lady & The Tramp is back on the big screen at the El Capitan Theatre (Feb. 10-19) Moviegoers can enjoy this classic love story of two pups falling in love while sharing a delicious plate of spaghetti and meatballs for a limited time only! Check for discounted tickets on Goldstar while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
41. One Love Cali Reggae Fest docks at the Queen Mary in Long Beach (Feb. 10-12) for three days of dancing to your favorite reggae music on a Los Angeles’ historic cruise ship.
42. Every Friday in February Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal and themed drinks. This weeks theme is Prohibition Era Cocktails.
43. Santa Monica’s Aero Theatre presents a screening of The Man Who Fell To Earth. DISCOUNTED(via Goldstar)
44. Every Friday in February, the Norton Science Museum in Pasadena will host “Unexpected Romance” a film series centered around romance. This week the 1941 film Ball of Fire will be screened.
45. Free admission days this Friday for: Long Beach Museum of Art (3 – 8 p.m.) FREE
Article by We Like LA.