This Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend (Jan. 13 to Jan. 16) includes the LA Art Show, the start of dineL.A., Anime Impulse, a Hello Kitty Food Truck appearance, The Kingdom Day Parade, and LOTS more to choose from.
Friday January 13th, 20171. Feast your eyes on some amazing art collections from all over the world! The 2017 LA Art Showcomes to the Los Angeles Convention Center from Jan. 11 through Jan. 15 for their annual civic celebration of the visual arts.
2. In need of some visual inspiration? Look no further than Photo LA. Returning to The REEF/LA Mart for its 26th edition, this photographic exhibition celebrates photography and how it fits within the realm of fine art. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. dineL.A. Restaurant Week is back from Jan. 13 through Jan. 27. More than just a week, dineL.A. offers food-lovers two straight weeks to taste, explore, and enjoy various prix-fixe menus from top restaurants across Los Angeles. Need a little help selecting places to go? Try our nifty guide to dineL.A. which includes our top picks
4. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Every Friday of January, Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal and themed drinks. This weeks theme is Seasonal Cocktails.
6. The Queen Mary is issuing a special Locals’ Annual Pass to make it easier than ever for SoCal residents to visit the world-famous cruise liner all year round. The pass includes complimentary three-hour parking and admission to the ship and exhibits. Grab yours for a special price on Goldstar! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. The 7,200 square-foot Holiday Ice Rink® Pershing Square will be open every day of the holiday season through Jan. 16. Check for discounted tickets throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Santa Monica Restaurant Week will take place from Jan. 9 to 15 and will feature 21 of the area’s best restaurants showcasing the beach city’s vibrant food scene through one selected ingredient. This year’s star ingredient is the radish!
9. Spend a day at the races with the Farriers Package at Santa Anita Race Tracks. The package includes admission to the races, box seating and a racing program, along with a pint of local craft beer. Happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Learn the history of Mexico and its vibrant food and drink traditions with a cultural experience at La Experiencia Agave hosted at The Knotted Apron cooking school in Whittier. Tickets start at $75 a person.
11. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
12. The Lincoln Center Theater production of The King and I comes to the Hollywood Pantages. Happening Tuesday through Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Andrew’s Cheese Shop in Santa Monica is hosting a Grilled Cheese & Beer Night this Friday featuring a six-course meal four of which are grilled-cheese sandwiches. Tickets cost $60 a person.
14. Redondo Beach Restaurant Week takes place from Jan. 13 to 27, and will feature 14 eateries from the beach city’s burgeoning food scene. All participating restaurants will offer either specially priced prix-fixe lunches and/or dinners, or other Restaurant Week-only specials.
15. The city of Pasadena will host Cheeseburger Week with 40 restaurants in participation offering burger specials all over the city from Jan. 8 to Jan 13.
16. Selfie Leslie is having a one day sample sale in Marina Del Rey. Shop their trendy and bohemian styles starting at just $10.
17. Free admission days this Friday for: Long Beach Museum of Art
Saturday January 14th, 201718. Just an FYI for all the Sanrio fans out there: The traveling Hello Kitty Cafe Truck will make an appearance at the Santa Anita Mall this Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
19. Spend a day with burgers, beer and world-class Thoroughbred racing at Los Angeles landmark, Santa Anita Park during Burgers & Brewfest. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. GrubMarket will host Locavore Fest, a celebration of food and culture at Hatchet Hall in Culver City. The festival is free to attend and invites guests to meet and greet with their local farmers, hear their stories, and learn about the origins of their food. Guests will also sample food from local artisans, enjoy a drink at the wine and beer garden with live music, kids’ activities, and more.
21. The Asian American Expo returns to the Fairplex in Pomona on Jan. 14 and 15. Attendees can celebrate the Lunar New Year with food, art, and an immersive cultural experience!
22. Burlesque troupe The Dollface Dames take over the Magicopolis stage for a night of tease, balloon popping, belly dance and even clogging? Lets just say they do a lot in their 80 minute show. The fun doesn’t end there the Magicopolis bartenders double as magicians! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. So Cal Whisky Wonderland is a snow-filled, whisky-fueled fun festival at Roxanne’s in Long Beach. There will be plenty of great whiskeys to try, vendors to shop from, music, snow bowling, snowball bullseye and other “winter” games. Grab VIP tickets for a chance to try the elusive 10 Year, 12 Year, and 15 Year Pappy Van Winkle whiskey. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. Experience the food and culture of East Hollywood’s ethnic neighborhoods through a four hour foodie tour this Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. Raymond Chandler’s Los Angeles Bus Tour is a four-hour guided tour by the folks at Esoteric Bus Adventures. The team will take you through the rough streets that shaped pulp-fiction author Raymond Chandler’s writing. Tasty Bonus! There will be a stop at ice cream favorite Scoops for a Chandler-themed gelato. Get discounted tickets while supplies last via Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. Picture This! L.A.’s only live animated comedy show is back with a FREE show at The Virgil. FREE
27. Chris D’Elia, Anthony Jeselnik, Iliza Shlesinger, Dom Irrera and more will be doing stand-up at L.A.’s legendary Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. The Pasadena Museum of California Art is currently having a special on admission through Goldstar where tickets are complementary with a $3 service fee (tickets usually cost $7 a person.) See current exhibits by Llyod Hamrol, Joan Perlman and a 90 painting show on California coast culture titled: In the Land of Sunshine. The promo runs throughout the week and weekend for the next few weeks. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Shop Super Street is having a warehouse sale this Saturday featuring a mix of street and high end brands like Rodarte, Isabel Marant, Mochchino, Newbark, Stussy, The Great and more for up to 85% off.
30. Join the Culinary Historians this Saturday at the Central Library for a talk titled “Middle Eastern Cuisine is 500 Years Old” the event is free and open to the public with no reservations required. A reception with themed refreshments will follow the talk. FREE
31. The Hammer is hosting In Real Life a month long curated film and video series that tie in performances in theater, dance, music and experimental recitation. This Saturday and Sunday the museum will host Trajal Harrell: Judson Church is Ringing in Harlem (Made-to-Measure)/Twenty Looks or Paris is Burning at The Judson Church. FREE
32. Anthony Jeselnik and more will be doing stand-up at L.A.’s legendary Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
33. Gabba Gallery will hold an opening reception party for New York based artist Jason Woodside with DJ Jonathan Williams spinning tunes and cocktails sponsored by Stolen Rum and Original New York Seltzer. FREE
34. The 1st Annual Comic Excitement Convention will land at the LA Convention Center Jan 14 to 15. The all-ages event will feature celebrity guests, cosplay stars, comic book creators, demos, games, vendors, and more.
35. Take a behind the scenes tour of the historic Egyptian Theatre this Saturday. Home of Hollywood’s first movie premiere, the docent-led tour will take guests through dressing rooms and other essential areas that make up the legendary theatre. Tickets cost $9 a person.
36. Brooklyn-born craft market Artists & Fleas will be Venice Beach this weekend and will feature locally made art, fashion, vintage and beyond.
Sunday January 15th, 201737. Happy Birthday Marion! at The Annenberg Beach House celebrates actress Marion Davies’ 120th birthday. During this special afternoon, guests can explore Marion’s beautifully decorated guest house, dance to old-timey music, marvel at magician Tom Frank’s sleight-of-hand and watch Marion and Hearst in clips from their European-vacation home movies, along with Marion’s best film, the 1928 silent comedy Show People. Vintage attire is recommended, though not required.
38. Anime Impulse at the Asian American Expo at the Fairplex will fuse the world of anime & video games. Expect celebrity appearances, a maid cafe, artist alleys, Kawaii fashion & a cosplay masquerade competition.
39. The Aqualillies will lead a fun and creative synchronized swim class at the Annenberg Community Beach House where you’ll learn back layouts, ballet legs, torpedoes and more! The class cost $37 a person and comes with parking and hot chocolate.
40. The Fantastic Universal CityWalk Race will have your brains and athleticism put to the test. A cross between sight seeing, scavenger hunt and problem solving this race will have you work up an appetite which is perfect since the race ends at one of CityWalk’s restaurants where complimentary beverages and snacks await you. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
41. The Springs in partnership with Natives and Parsley Health will host a special wellness series called New Year’s Energy Reset offering a chakra lunch, yoga, aromatherapy, sound healing + reiki, a “Food is Medicine” discussion and more. Tickets cost $95 a person. This is a half day event from noon to 6:30 p.m.
42. Malibu Country Mart will host Fireball Tim’s Wheels & Waves a car meet up of eye-catching auto motives will line the streets from vintage, exotic, to rare cars of all types. This event will be an ongoing series every third Sunday of the month through June. FREE
43. Free admission days this Sunday for: Museum of Latin American Art and pay what you can at the Craft and Folk Art Museum. FREE
Monday, January. 16th 201744. This Monday there will be a free Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration at the California African American Museum. The festivities include includes art activities, music and food trucks, plus a marathon reading of MLK speeches. FREE
45. The Los Angeles County Museum of Art is offering free general admission on Monday for MLK Day, thanks to the folks by Target. FREE
46. The 32nd annual Kingdom Day Parade is the largest parade in the county honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This year’s edition will start at 11 a.m. on Monday morning near the intersection of Leimert Blvd and Martin Luther King Blvd.
Article by We Like LA.