Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This Memorial Day weekend in L.A. (May 26-29) includes Fiesta Hermosa, La La Land at the Hollywood Bowl, the Los Angeles Vegan Beer & Food Festival, Topanga Days, a free day at LACMA and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Friday May 26th, 2017
1. This weekend the 59th annual Garden Grove Strawberry Festival is back from May 26 through 29 featuring strawberry-themed contests, a strawberry stomp 5K run, parade and games. Come on Friday for the strawberry cake-cutting ceremony and score free strawberry shortcake!
2. Björk Digital is a groundbreaking virtual reality collection of videos, featuring music from Björk’s latest album, Vulnicura, to be shown at Magic Box at The Reef in Downtown L.A. now till June 4.
3. Catch the magic of La La Land during a unique concert experience featuring music played live-to-film at the Hollywood Bowl. Two days of performances start on the final Friday of May. Check for discount tickets, while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Greenbar Distillery is hosting two cocktail classes in Downtown LA this weekend. This Friday the theme is Prohibition Era cocktails. Saturday is a special weekend edition.
5. The Last Book Review returns to The Last Bookstore in Downtown Los Angeles. Join host Ever Mainard and five comedians as they tell their own personal, funny and often awkward story on stage. The last comedian will then take the audience through a book review. FREE
6. Eat your way through Downtown Los Angeles and hear stories of the city’s early settlers, gossip about Hollywood’s heyday, architectural highlights, cultural changes of L.A. and the food scene. You’ll get plenty of chances to grab a bite along the way while making a few key stops. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. L.A.’s only live animated comedy show Picture This! is back with a FREE show on Saturday at The Virgil with over a dozen well known comedians and animators. FREE
8. Milk & Honey will grand open in Hollywood this Friday with free wellness bowls and waffle cake from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. One item per guest.
9. Constitution Happy Hour at AMMO at The Hammer continues this Friday with a focus on the question “What are the rights of immigrants under the Constitution?”
10. Tease, If You Please Burlesque Show staged at Globe Theatre spotlights acts from some of the most creative dancers in the business. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. LACMA’s award winning Department of Music Program provides hundreds of free concerts and musical events every year for Angelenos to enjoy. This Friday their jazz series continues at the BP Grand Entrance.
12. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening Friday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. The #1 show in Vegas history (according to the Las Vegas Weekly) is still running strong at L.A. LIVE. Absinthe, an immersive variety show, features comedy, burlesque, aerial and acrobatic acts. Happening throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Saturday May 27th, 201714. Claimed as the “Largest Arts & Crafts Fair in Southern California,” expect over 300 artists, sculptors, photographers and hand crafters to participate at Fiesta Hermosa a three-day affair taking place May 27-29. The festival is free with plenty of fun for all ages from a charity beer and wine garden to a special kiddie carnival area. FREE
15. Topanga Days will take over Memorial Day weekend with live music, food, arts, and a parade at the Topanga Community Club.
16. California Gold Rush Day is returning to Santa Anita Park for another year of refreshing brew in the golden sun on May 27. Attendees will get a chance to watch the races while enjoying a sample of unique craft beers and unique sours from some of the best breweries in California. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. Street Food Cinema this Saturday features screenings of Back to the Future at Verdugo Park Glendale and and Clueless at Victory Park Pasadena. DISCOUNTED (v ia Goldstar)
18. Eat|See|Hear brings a screening of Pulp Fiction at The Autry Museum. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. The OG of outdoor movie screening events, Cinespia will screen North by Northwest this weekend at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.
20. The Lincoln will celebrate their one year anniversary throughout Memorial Day Weekend (May 27-28) with selected complimentary specialty cocktails, a BBQ, and live music from LA indie rock band Smoky Knights.
21. The 8th Annual Los Angeles Vegan Beer & Food Festival will take place at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena this Saturday. Get a taste of SoCal’s best vegan eats with unlimited pours of craft beers.
22. Head to Northridge to the Valley Greek Festival (May 27-29) for three days of Greek food, Greek wine, dancing, shopping, cooking demos and more. Taking place at Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church admission is $3, children under 10 are free and folks over 65 are free as well.
23. Catch a Comedy Store headliner show this Saturday that includes a lineup of Dane Cook, Margaret Cho, and more. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. The 2nd Annual Long Beach Craft Beer & Taco Festival heads to Shoreline Aquatic Park in Long Beach for a day of beer, tacos and music. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. The Simi Valley Cajun & Blues Festival is set to take over Rancho Santa Susana Community Park this Memorial Day weekend (May 27-28) with music, Cajun-Creole food like jambalaya and crawfish plus dance lessons, kid friendley activities and so much more.
26. There’s an outdoor Disco/New Wave Date Night Party happening at One Colorado in Pasadena. Guests will enjoy a Silent Disco with the addition of KCRW’s Raul Campos spinning between sets. Dress-up in your retro best and take a photo at the photo booth, grab a drink at the pop-up bar and try your hand at the Retro Arcade or see the future with a tarot reading. Tickets cost $10.
27. USS Iowa will host their annual Military Appreciation Day giving active and veteran military members free admission to the party. The Memorial day festival will feature live music, food trucks, vintage vehicles, re-enactors, a Sailor’s Bar, and more.
28. This Saturday night there will be a Grunion Fish-tival at Cabrillo Marine Aquarium. Check out the aquarium after hours and see if you can witness this seasonal marvel of nature as silver fish emerge onto land and mate (hopefully!).
29. Santa Anita Park Infield will be transformed into a free three day carnival (May 27-29) with all the classic carnival attractions and indulgences. FREE
30. Architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s gorgeous Hollyhock House will be used as a theater for the very first time when Fefu and Her Friends plays throughout the month of May in honor of the 150th anniversary of the esteemed architect’s birth. Happening Saturday and Sunday.
31. W Hollywood and Corona will team up this Memorial Day weekend to host “Electric Beach” a party series leading up to EDC Las Vegas. The event is free with an RSVP via Eventbrite.
Sunday May 28th, 201732. Zine fans and creators will gather in DTLA for L.A. Zine Fest at the California Market Center for a full-day of discussions, panels and event exhibitors. FREE
33. The 4th Annual MAINopoly is back with another year of food and drink tasting on Sunday May 28. Organized like a classic Monopoly game, 20 locations will be providing stamps for each spot you conquer. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
34. Celebrate National Burger Day with a free burger at all participating locations of Bareburger from 3-6 p.m. Choose from a farmstead vegan burger or standard beef burger for dine-in customers only.
35. It’s Burger Day at Smorgasburg LA down at ROW DTLA. Vendors will offer speciality burgers and NYC’s Ramen Burger will make a special appearance!
36. Take a Downtown Los Angeles foodie walking tour and savor what the bustling neighborhood has to offer. The tour is three hours long, participants will stop at six popular spots to eat and the tour guide will take folks through the history of DTLA. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. Little Tokyo’s Baldoria is celebrating their one year anniversary with $1 Margherita pizzas all day long this Sunday (dine in only.)
38. May 28 is National Hamburger Day and to celebrate the folks at Dog Haus want to upgrade your patty to a double on the Haus! The promotion is availble at all Dog Haus locations.
39. Come celebrate the cultural heritage of the Netherlands and Indonesia (a former Dutch East Indies) during the 28th Annual Holland Festival. Enjoy food, music, family fun and numerous vendors selling Dutch and Indonesian products and food.
40. Spend Memorial Sunday on a three-level a party cruise aboard the Catalina King from mid-afternoon until sunset. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
41. Killer Shrimp presents the 6th Annual Killer Rides show this Sunday in Marina del Rey. Check out hotrods, classics, exotics and bikes for free! Iconic hot dog stand, Tail O’ the Pup will be serving up free hot dogs too.
Monday May 29th, 201742. Celebrate Memorial Day with Wavey Pool Party at Skybar at the Mondrian. Kicking off the Wavey sessions is live music and DJ performances by Overjoy, January Black, Body Party and more. RSVP here.
43. Celebrating three decades of the Jazz Reggae Festival along with the sweet sounds of Protoje, Daniel Caesar and more. Spend a day enjoying ethnic food options, shopping for handcrafted cultural items and even art.
44. To pay respect to those who lost their lives for American freedom, the 28th Canoga Park Memorial Day Parade features marching bands, patriotic floats and even military aircrafts up in the sky.
45. Santa Anita Race Track will honor former and current service members with a free lunch this Memorial Day. In addition, Monday is Dollar Day with dollar beers, sodas and hot dogs available, all day long.
46. The Queen Mary will offer free admission to all U.S. active and retired military personnel on Memorial Day.
47. LACMA is free for the Memorial Day Holiday!
Article by We Like LA.