Need stuff to do this month in Los Angeles? We looked ahead on our calendar to focus in on some of the best events happening in May around Los Angeles that you should probably have on your radar. After all, better to get your tickets now than wait till the last minute and find out your favorite event is sold out.
May 2018 event highlights include Free Comic Book Day, Fiesta Hermosa, Whedon Con, LA Times Food Bowl Night Market, the California Strawberry Festival, a Bug Fair at NHM, Lebowski Fest, and much more.
The complete rundown starts after the jump. Enjoy!
1. VRLA Expo (May 4-5)A New Reality: VRLA comes to the Los Angeles Convention Center’s South Hall on May 4-5 for the ultimate experience with the next generation of immersive and transformative technology. -> More information
2. Free Comic Book Day Returns! (May 5)Free Comic Book Day is back on May 5! Occurring every year on the first Saturday of May, it’s an international comic book celebration during which comic book shops give away comic books absolutely FREE to anyone who visits their shops. -> More information
3. The 13th Annual Freestyle Festival at The Queen Mary (May 5)Performers at the 13th Annual Freestyle Festival on May 5 at The Queen Mary include MC Hammer, Jody Watley, The Jets, The Sugarhill Gang and many more with genres including R&B, hip-hop, rap and ska. -> More information – Discount tickets
4. Grand Butterfly Celebration at Kidspace Museum (May 5-6)Bid farewell to Kidspace Museum’s butterfly season during its Grand Butterfly Celebration on May 5-6. Learn about butterflies and how support their life cycle, mold a butterfly puddler out of clay, paint butterfly scenes en plain air and make a butterfly stick kite that you can wave at the 2 p.m. show with a live DJ. -> More information
5. Masters of Taste Food Festival at the Pasadena Rose Bowl (May 6)Prepare your forks, spoons, and straws! The Masters of Taste food and drink festival is returning to the Pasadena Rose Bowl on May 6 for the ultimate spread of delicious food and drink, and all for a great cause. Note that you can get $15 off tickets to Masters of Taste tickets using promo code WELIKELA18 -> More information
6. Springtime in the Village Wine & Jazz Festival and Street Faire (May 6)The Springtime in the Village Wine & Jazz Festival and Street Faire comes to Vitello’s on Tujunga Avenue on May 6 for an opportunity to taste over 100 wines and goodies in the sunshine. -> More information
7. Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Celebration at Universal Studios (May 11-12)Immerse yourself in a day (or two!) of all things Jurassic Park during Universal Studios’ 25th anniversary celebration of the dinosaur blockbuster on May 11-12. Enjoy special exhibits, interactive photo ops, a fan costume show, a screening of the film and more. -> More information
8. Echo Park Craft Fair’s Spring Edition at Mack Sennett Studios (May 11-13)The Echo Park Craft Fair, an eclectic two-day craft fair, features over 120 artists with various ceramic, jewelry, clothing, woodworking and textile design booths. -> More information
9. RuPaul’s DragCon Los Angeles 2018 (May 11-13)RuPaul’s DragCon offers three days of art, pop culture and all things drag when returns to Los Angeles from May 11-13! Hosted at the Los Angeles Convention Center, visitors can check out vendors, panel discussions, screenings, autograph and photo ops, lip sync contests, and make-up and styling workshops for men and women. -> More information
10. East LA Comicbook, Art and Pop-Culture Expo (May 12)Piggybacking off the success of last year’s East LA Comic-Con, the newly renamed East L.A. Comicbook, Art and Pop-Culture Expo is a free event featuring collectibles, comic creators, cosplay, and more.-> More information
11. Pop-Up Magazine’s Spring Edition at The Theatre at Ace Hotel (May 12)Stop by Pop-Up Magazine’s Spring Edition at The Theatre at Ace Hotel for a night of jaw-dropping, scandalous, funny and sometimes endearing stories during this unique storytelling experience. -> More information
12. LA Times Food Bowl Night Market (May 16-20)Night Market, part of the LA Times Food Bowl, features dozens of restaurants and food trucks selling food for purchase, plus an assortment of DJ’d music and entertainment, taking place in Downtown Los Angeles’ Grand Park. -> More information
13. Uncorked Wine Festival: LA Vintner’s Market at the Skirball Center (May 18-20)Visit the Skirball Center on May 18 for Uncorked Wine Festival, an evening of wine, food and live music. Sample more than 50 wines from family-owned and operated wineries from top wine regions around the world. Enjoy gourmet hors d’oeuvres and appetizers to pair with your wines. -> More information
14. A Night of Electronic Music at Union Station (May 18)A FREE Night of Electronic Music at Union Station in Downtown Los Angeles featuring Rival Consoles, underground mainstay John Tejada (Kompakt) and Tottie (Dublab) in collaboration with Decibel Festival. -> More information
15. WhedonCon 2018, May 18-20 at Warner Center in Woodland Hills (May 18-20)Highlights for the 3-day Joss Whedon-inspired convention, WhedonCon in Woodland Hills, include Fan Friday, Supernatural Saturday and Super Sunday. -> More information
16. L.A. LIVE Block Party (May 19)The L.A. LIVE Block Party will feature a pop-up marketplace with over 40 local vendors plus live music and food and drink specials from participating restaurants. -> More information
17. 35th Annual California Strawberry Festival (May 19-20)The 35th Annual California Strawberry Festival returns to Strawberry Meadows of College Park in Oxnard on May 19-20 for a weekend-long event packed with everything a strawberry lover could want. -> More information
18. The Bug Fair at the Natural History Museum (May 19-20)Come greet your bug-eyed friends during the Bug Fair at NHMLA. Highlights include exotic bug collections, bug-created products, bug chefs and nature walks. -> More information
19. LitFest Pasadena (May 19-20)7th Annual LitFest Pasadena, hosted within the Pasadena Playhouse District, is a literary-focused festival that’s FREE for all ages. The event features workshops, panels, readings and more! -> More information
20. Six L.A. Museums Will Be Free on ‘Museums of The Arroyo Day’ 2018 (May 20)On May 21 six area museums and historical homes will open their doors free of charge for Museums of the Arroyo Day. The list includes the Gamble House, Heritage Square, the Los Angeles Police Museum, the Lummis Home and Garden, the Pasadena Museum of History, and The Autry’s Historic Southwest Museum Mt. Washington Campus. -> More information
21. Cuban American Music Festival 2018 at La Plaza de Cultura y Artes (May 20)Enjoy a day of Cuban culture when La Plaza de Cultura y Artes hosts the Cuban American Music Festival on May 20, with four musical acts, dancing, local Cuban artists, and Cuban food and drink, takes place at La Plaza de Cultura y Artes in Downtown L.A. -> More information
22. L.A. Mag’s Burgers, Bourbon + Beer in Santa Monica (May 23)Los Angeles magazine’s Burgers, Bourbon + Beer promises a sophisticated yet delicious, evening at The Victorian, featuring guessed it, juicy burgers and aged bourbons. -> More information
23. The 7th Annual Taste of Boyle Heights (May 24)The 7th Annual Taste of Boyle Heights, an annual community fundraiser, features live music and cuisine from local East L.A. establishments, vendors and more. -> More information
24. Lebowski Fest Los Angeles 2018 at The Wiltern & Fountain Bowl (May 25-26)Lebowski Fest celebrates the iconic Coen Brothers movie with live performances, special guests, themed parties, a screening of the film and more. There will be a movie screening at The Wiltern on May 25 plus a bowling part at Fountain Bowl on May 26 for Leboswki Fest 2018! -> More information
25. 45th Annual Topanga Days Country Fair From (May 26-28)The 45th Annual Topanga Days Country Fair from May 26-2 will feature various country fair games and competitions, live entertainment, food, and more for guests of all ages. -> More information
26. Fiesta Hermosa is Back (May 26-28)Fiesta Hermosa, a FREE annual event, will feature local vendors, 18 different food offerings, beer gardens, games and live music in Downtown Hermosa Beach. -> More information
Schedule provided by We Like LA.