Summer time is a great time to give back to the community and spend time volunteering.
With that being said, below are just a few volunteering options for you to check out and see which one is right for you!
1. Children’s Hospital LAChildren’s Hospital LA has a volunteer program that allows you to spend time with patients. Volunteers must be 18 years old and older and must pass a health clearance, go through orientation, an interview process, and training. A volunteer program is also available for teens 15 to 17 years of age. More info here
2. L.A. KitchenCreate healthy meals for disadvantaged communities at L.A. Kitchen. Volunteering here consists of 3-hour shifts where you will help prepare the food: washing, peeling, chopping. Sign up here
3. 826LAMake a difference in a child’s life and help students ages 6 – 18 with their writing skills. Volunteers have to take a 101 orientation and can then begin working with students through workshops and after-school tutoring. Orientation is July 8, 15 and 29 and August 12. -> Start here
4. Project Angel FoodMany who face poverty and life-threatening illnesses rely on Project Angel Food to receive home-cooked meals. Volunteers are always needed to help prepare and package meals in the kitchen. Orientation is offered throughout July and August for new volunteers. Make a difference here.
5. The Trevor ProjectHelp young individuals who may be struggling with issues such as suicide, depression and LGBTQ identity. Through The Trevor Project, TrevorChat/TrevorText volunteers help answer instant messages and online texts. Trevor Lifeline volunteers help by answering calls in the L.A. call center. To volunteer here, orientation must be completed as well as an interview, background check, and training. Support here.
6. Los Angeles MissionEvery year in August, Los Angeles Mission helps hundreds of families gear up for going back to school. Their annual End of Summer Arts and Education Fair helps students with school supplies. Volunteers needed here.
7. LA Animal ServicesMake a difference in a four-legged furry friends life. Volunteers are needed at the LA Animal Services (LAAS) to help at one of the six shelters in L.A. Orientations are currently being offered. Visit LAAS Facebook page for orientation dates. More info here.
8. Los Angeles Department of Recreation & ParksVolunteering through the Los Angeles Department of Recreation & Parks is a great way of giving back. Volunteer jobs include coaching, helping with senior programs, special events, and much more. Learn more here.
9. Friends of Griffith ParkHelp preserve Griffith Park’s 4,310 acres of land. Volunteers help with clean-ups, tree planting and other projects. Preserve here.
10. Santa Monica Mountains FundHelp the Santa Monica Mountains Fund restore native plant life, build hiking trails, and much more. -> All ages welcome here.
11. Reading to KidsVolunteer on Saturdays at one of the local elementary schools throughout Los Angeles and help students become better readers. To volunteer to help Reading to Kids go to their website and complete an online application and RSVP to read at a specific school. Training and reading strategies are provided by teachers. -> Read this.
12. Food on FootHelp Food on Foot distribute meals and clothes to homeless families and individuals on Sundays. You can help by registering online, making a $20 donation (used to purchase food to distribute) and show up on Sundays from 3:15 – 5 p.m. at the Food on Foot Hollywood location. Learn more here.
13. Swan Center OutreachSwan Center Outreach is always welcoming volunteers ages 9+ to help with its farm and horses. To volunteer, all you need is a kind heart and a gentle hand. If you want to work with the horses, you must sign up in Swan Center’s training class. Volunteer here.
14. The Music CenterSurround yourself around great culture and art. Volunteering for The Music Center allows you to work in various positions, whether it’s assisting at Center events or helping out with technology and social media. “Symphonians” volunteer in conducting public and private tours of the center. (email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about volunteering opportunities). -> Sign up here.